Introduction to SQL
Data - Data, in simplest terms, can be facts related to an object. For example, your name and birthdate are data related to you.
Database - Any collection of data, regardless of how big or small. Example, a telephone directory or list of friends on Facebook are considered databases.
Database Management System (DBMS) - A tool that enables a user to access and manipulate a database. An example of a DBMS is TOAD.
Structured Query Language (SQL) - SQL is sometimes pronounced as "Sequel". SQL is a programming language used to talk to databases. It is used for creating, retrieving, updating, and deleting data in databases (C.R.U.D.).
SQL Database Types
- Microsoft SQL
- SQL Server
- IBM DB2
Alamo Colleges District's Banner database is Oracle, however, we do utilize different types of databases.
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Oracle SQL Developer
- MySQL SQL Workbench
- many others...
Alamo Colleges District has a license for TOAD.
Types of DBMS
There are several different types of DBMS, to include the following:
- Hierarchical DBMS - Data is organized into a tree-like structure. Think of a tree with nodes (records) and branches (fields).
- Relational DBMS - Data is organized in the form of tables. This is the most popular DBMS type.
- Network DBMS - Data is organized into graphs and many-to-many relationships are supported.
- Object Oriented DBMS - Data is stored in the form of objects with attributes or classes.
TOAD is a relational DBMS.